Advice for father & son Spanish

I, a 38 year old anglo american dad, speak some conversational spanish. I used to be at an intermediate, maybe intermediate-advanced level, and spent many months in latin america in my twenties. Unfortunately my spanish has faded over the past decade in disuse. I'd like to refresh my spanish. I have a 5 year old son who I really want to learn to speak spanish. If I had to prioritize I'd say it's more important to me for him to learn it, but ideally we can both benefit.

So given those considerations, let's say I can only add one thing to our weekly routine. Could people here tell me which of the following they think would be the BEST thing for us to do (or if you can think of something else, please tell me)? I've made plenty of resolutions and big plans to make us both spanish speakers but the truth is that life's busy and conversational spanish doesn't come up in our life where we live these days. At best I can add one thing to develop some spoken spanish for him and improve my own, so I want to figure out the best thing.

  1. Start to regularly watch a Netflix cartoon dubbed into spanish (most animated or original content on netflix has the option to dub the audio). Maybe with english subtitles?
  2. Get a book on teaching spanish to a kid and teach him via the lessons (any suggestions?)
  3. Get a spanish-language tutor for 2-4 lessons a month. I don't know that I can find one who specializes in youth instruction, but last year I looked around and did find some people who do conversational spanish instruction for a reasonable hourly rate, I'd probably try to have them come to our house if possible if I was going to do it for my son.
  4. Find some kids music in spanish and just start playing that as our music to have around the house
  5. Is there some kind of especially good app? We don't let him have a tablet, but kids crave them, so perhaps I could pick some spanish learning game app and let him have some time with that.
  6. Are there any video games in spanish? This is an odd thing to ask, but he loves video games as 5 year olds often do. So we limit them to like twice a month as a treat. However I wonder if I just rolled the language challenge into the treat. We have a Switch and PS4, and I've never considered before now whether the sound dialogue of games could be set to other languages.

Please don't just suggest "you just need to speak to your son in spanish!" I get that, and for sure I often will rattle off some sentences to him in spanish, tell him what a certain word means in spanish, etc. But my own language skill is not so good anymore, and when I do this it's not part of any structured educational plan. I'd like to add something to our routine, and make it regular.

submitted by /u/osamabindrinkin
[link] [comments]

from ಸ್ವಾಗತ | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2uO3lYZ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments