Quechua as a second language in the United States

Hello!

I'm a graduate student at New York University and I'm writing my master's thesis on the study of Quechua as a second language (and/or heritage language) in the United States. My thesis will explore how Quechua is taught at the university level and also at the community level through grassroots language initiatives. I also hope to interview Quechua teachers based in the US to learn more about their different methodologies. I'm very interested to see how we can decolonize indigenous language study in the US and how heritage language learners negotiate identity politics through language study.

I have studied Kichwa at UCLA and Quechua at NYU, so I'm familiar with my local Andean/Quechua communities but I would love to get perspectives from Quechua enthusiasts/learners across the US! If you have 10-15 minutes, please consider taking my survey. Anyone who has an interest in Quechua is encouraged to participate, you don't have to have studied it (although that would be a plus if you have)! If you have any questions, please let me know! Thanks so much for your consideration and help.

Survey link: https://goo.gl/forms/6Nd00avdjZFg1TnN2

submitted by /u/shhsandy
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2EBJYI8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments