Is learning a language for English speakers worth it.

I just got my C1 German cert from the Goethe institute and while facinating I don't think learning German is worth it for really most anyone who doesn't live in Germany. I would tell any English speaker to learn at least some Spanish and probably stop there unless it's for pleasure. Which I guess is basically the situation in the US where I'm from. And to be honest, I found a shockingly low level of German fluency was need to get C1 German. The word fluency doesn't seem to have any meaning to me anymore. People often ask "Are you fluent?" And I just tell them now exactly that. I wouldn't consider myself at all close to the level of native German speakers. I would say my German is probably 10% how good my English is. And I have fairly close friends from Germany I communicate almost only in German with to this day. Honestly basically how much time spent learning/speaking/writing German compared to English is the best metric.

submitted by /u/erikmaxwell27
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2XpMx7v
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments