Do other people have to restrain themselves for learning too many languages or is it just me?

I've been learning languages since 2015, and in that time I've started to learn French, German, Spanish, Mandarin, and I've been flirting with the idea of starting to learn either Russian or Hindi as well.

I used to start focusing on a new language every year while trying to maintain my other ones. I must admit, it's been a bit of a struggle to maintain these languages at times. That's why this year I decided not to focus on a new language. Instead, I decided to continue focusing on Mandarin. However, I can already feel the temptation to start learning either Russian or Hindi creeping in.

The rational side of my brain is telling not to do it. It's telling me that I should focus on the numerous languages that I have already started to learn, but the less rational side of my brain is saying go for it. Language learning is meant to be fun. Just go with the flow and learn them if I want to. I feel as if I'm having to restrain myself in terms of language learning.

I'm conscious of the fact that I'm taken on way too much in a relatively short period of time, but part of me just wants to keep on sampling new languages. This leads to an almost internal struggle within my own mind. Improving my French, German and Spanish becomes the thing I should be doing, not the thing that I want to do.

So, I wanted to know if there are other language learners out there that have a similar problem. Do you have to try and slow down the uptake of new languages, or are you solely dedicated to one or two languages?

submitted by /u/Davethepieman123
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2NxSz1t
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments