Learning a new language later in life - is it too late? (cross-post with /r/askpsychology)

so I've decided to learn French. I am 40 and have no exposure to French what-so-ever. I've been at it for about half a year. I took the first semester of French at a community college (got an A!!!) and will be taking the second semester soon. I spend A LOT of time studying French.

I have found that as my understanding of the grammar and the acquisition of vocabulary has increased, I can understand quite a bit of written French. I can also piece together phrases and sentences that are grammatically correct. This part of learning a new language is just about learning the rules and following them. My pronunciation is also not bad, which is also a function of just following the rules of how the sounds are supposed to come out of your mouth.

The wall that I've run into is understanding people who are speaking French. It sounds like complete gibberish to me. I know, I've only been at this for half a year, and I shouldn't expect to get it overnight. But I really feel like I'm running into a wall. Even after reading a transcript of what I just heard (closed captions on youtube are VERY helpful) I'm amazed that I didn't pick up any of that.

I am starting to worry that I will never be able to understand spoken French. It's as if I'm starting too late to be able to form new neural pathways to comprehend what I am hearing, especially when spoken at even a moderate speed.

Anyways, I'm not sure exactly what I am asking here. Maybe this I'm looking for encouragement, maybe I'm looking for some insight or advice, maybe I'm just venting my frustration.

edit: this was something that I posted on /r/askpsychology

submitted by /u/thenewstampede
[link] [comments]

from Merħba| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2GcOPkn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments