What is your target language better at (or what can only be done in your target language) than English?

As a native English speaker, I sometimes struggle with the fact that most everything that I want to learn about using a foreign language (ex. French cooking, Latin American history) generally has English translations. So there's never a need to learn about cooking in French over English, since I can accomplish similar things in English with less difficulty.

There are exceptions to this with smaller languages that do not have many materials translated into English, but I am not at a level yet in those languages to be using native materials.

What are some things about your target language that actually make it more optimal to use than English? For example, I remember Tim Ferris writing about how he focused on learning about a certain type of martial arts in Japanese, and that helped him focus his learning. In that case, it was optimal to use Japanese rather than English.

What are some other examples of this? I am looking for ways to turn my interest into Spanish and French into more of a need to accomplish or do something else that is interesting to me. I am at the level in both where I can read comfortably, and can understand most Spanish conversations (I have a B2 Diploma in Spanish). I enjoy politics and history, as well as skiing, tennis, and travel.

As an example of what I am looking for: If I really liked Bollywood movies, then it's clear that Hindi is much better for watching Bollywood than English. That transforms a desire to learn Hindi into a need in order to accomplish something else (watching Bollywood without subtitles).

Hopefully this makes sense!

submitted by /u/TheCanadianCaper
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2LIRtih
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments