Learning Spanish with a Focus on Reading

I'm in an anthropology PhD program. As a discipline anthropology highly values language learning. So while my dissertation project is actually in the US and among English speakers, I will need to pass a language exam before leaving for fieldwork. The exam consists of translating part of a scholarly article from the foreign language (Spanish in my case) to English.

So, all that to say I'm looking for resources that focus on reading and translating over speaking and listening. The latter two are great, but for my purposes developing reading comprehension skills as thoroughly as possible over the next 6 months to a year is the priority.

My university has a program exactly like this, particularly for folks in the humanities who need to read work in its original language. Unfortunately it has largely targeted philosophy and religious studies students, so they offer German, French, and some ancient languages, but no Spanish. Regardless, after attending a presentation about these resources I looked into material specifically for learning to read and translate Spanish. I know I found some interesting resources, but I couldn't afford them at the time and apparently didn't think to bookmark them either. Now my Google skills seem to be failing me, because all I can find are lists of recommended reading for different sjill levels.

These are helpful, and I'll certainly make use of them, but I'm looking for something more structured - like a Rosetta Stone or duo lingual, but specifically for reading & translating. Digital is nice, but not necessary, and affordability definitely takes priority. I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion or two.

Other helpful info: I've studied some Spanish before, off and on. Spent a month in Peru a few years ago. Never really got beyond beginner level, at most sort of early intermediate. This has included high school & university level classes, Rosetta Stone, and duo lingual. Been a few months since I've put in any real practice, so back to beginner, but I'm confident I can pick things up quickly. Let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Thanks!!

submitted by /u/JohnBltz
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2SyjJ9W
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments