I've gotten a literal headache on deciding whether to give French or Spanish a go.

I've tried before to study these languages but kept flip-flopping between them in the span of a week. My indecisiveness kept driving me insane, & obviously still does.

To give some background, I am 17, I live in KSA, I speak Arabic & English (Mother Tongues). I'm not keen on traveling anywhere to study, I'm planning on solely self-studying in my room.

FRENCH

  1. I've taken French since Grade 1 - 10 in school, so I kinda have a head-start there.
  2. I think I have this strange attachment to the idea of learning & speaking French.
  3. There are a ton of products & restaurants with French cuisine. (not a real valid reason)

SPANISH

  1. Easy pronunciation
  2. From what I've heard, the Spanish grammar is extremely easy & similar to English.
  3. There are more & more TV shows in Spanish that are amazing. ( Narcos for e.g. )
  4. I really enjoy watching football.

My Motives

  • I have a ton of spare time
  • I feel like this will open up a whole new world of people to communicate with, cultures, paradigms etc.
  • I like the idea of impressing the people around me, but I hope this last motive goes away ; It's an impure & terrible motive in my opinion.
  • I feel this might come in handy when I go on vacation in the future with my family, or it'll help in terms of my future educational/occupational career.

There's one thought that keeps me up at night ( I overthink way too much ) . Even after I choose what language to go for, I will never be able to be emotionally attached to the language & grow a strong enough sense like with my English or Arabic. I'm not planning on making a career out of this like a tutor, rather I want to be as fluent as possible without having to study for 10 years to reach an intermediate level.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/WookieFaceLaith
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Lmncpj
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments