Can I do this too? 26 foreign language books this year (French, Chinese, Indonesian).

I set out this year to read more in my foreign languages. I had heard that if you read 100 books in your target language, then you won't have any real problems with reading, so I wanted to give it a try. At first it was just French, but I got so far with that that I decided to add Chinese, and I got a few books in Indonesian during Amazon's Black Friday sales. I'm not going to finish my current books, so I'll just stake my flag here:

16 French books
7 Chinese books
3 Indonesian books

Most of the French books were short novels by Georges Simenon, but they also included a Jules Verne book (Cinq Semaines en Ballon), a Victor Hugo book (Napoléon le Petit) and Alexandre Dumas (the first volume of Les Mohicans de Paris).

In Chinese, I read The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, A Call to Arms by Lu Xun, and To Live by Lu Hua among others.

In Indonesian, they were a number of kids books that I picked at random from Amazon.

I feel a lot of improvement in all of my languages even if I haven't really absorbed even 10% of the words that I wrote down from the books. Going through the process of making word lists actually helps me learn some of the vocab, so I recognize it the next time I see it in my reading. It's really gratifying to know that all the work I'd already put in has paid off, even if I still have more work to do.

Next year it will be more of the same, plus Spanish. I can't wait to see where I am in 365.

submitted by /u/SlyReference
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2rYZQ06
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments