Russian or Polish? Help me decide.

I've been considering starting on a Slavic Language soon but I'm having trouble deciding. My goal with any language is to communicate with people from other countries and cultures. In this regards, I guess I'm likely to encounter speakers of both to an equal degree and both languages have things going for them.

Russian:

- Introduces me to a completely new script, which is fun and opens the door to other languages which use it.

- There are many Russian language films that I'm fond of and can use as a resource

- There are more and (possibly) better resources available for learning in general.

- I'm not doing this for employability but maybe Russian looks better on a CV?

Polish

- I have a personal connection to Polish as I have a few polish friends whereas I have never met a Russian in my life.

- Uses the Latin script which, despite the fact that I would find learning a new script enjoyable, means I'll be able to dive into the language much sooner.

- The country I lived in and the one I'm moving to have far more Polish people than Russian so I'm more likely to encounter native speakers more frequently.

Just writing this has caused me to lean towards Polish now. But I'm curious what you guys think.

submitted by /u/toyo_abyss
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2E2OXTe
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments