Resuming my Spanish Learning

¡Hola, sub! I am a Spanish learner who has just returned to learning the language after a very long break and I am now ready to resume my study of it. I have been vigorously pursuing progress on Duolingo and have been running internet searches on various grammatical concepts I discover that I need help understanding, as well as diligently looking up words that I am not familiar with, using Google Translate as a kind of free, quick dictionary. I am currently level 12 on Duolingo and am progressing through new sections, using the “test out” function to level up my old, neglected sections to gold status, using the practice function, and have been pursuing the new stories that are now featured on the site. I have also been reading a bit through Teach Yourself Spanish by a certain Juan Kattán-Ibarra 2003 edition as a refresher for some of the basics in a print format. In addition, I own a copy of Schaum’s Outlines Spanish Grammar Sixth Edition, and while I have only progressed through a little bit of the book and haven’t really touched it since I last studied, I intend to resume progress in it in order to improve two weaknesses I have in the language: verb conjugation and the use of the pronouns (I have got the subject ones down pretty well, but object, indirect object, and demonstrative still give me trouble). Another resource that I have been using to improve my usage of the verbs is 501 Spanish Verbs. For listening, I have been using the podcast “News in Slow Spanish”, and have been listening to natives speak on Youtube videos. In addition to learning for the sake of enjoyment of the language, I also have a goal in Spanish that I would like to meet. Namely, that I would like to achieve a score of at least 50 on the Spanish CLEP exam. A few years past I took and passed Conversational Spanish 1 and Conversational Spanish 2, but, my school now requires that a student take and pass Elementary Spanish 1 and Elementary Spanish 2 to fulfill the degree requirements. I would very much like to pass this exam, and, I was wondering what resources, techniques, and study strategies you eminent language sages would recommend that I use in my effort. I have heard of the free exams on www.rea.com, www.study.com, and www.modernstates.org. Are these sufficient to prepare one for the CLEP? Should I get a study guide my local library has this one for free: https://www.scribd.com/book/271630802/CLEP-Spanish-Language-Book-Online Has anyone used this one? Or should I just buy the official CLEP guide? Amazon has them for pretty cheap, used is like $6. I am also curious about another potential Spanish learning resource, the smartphone app Hellotalk. I get the gist of it, but how is it regarding privacy? I am kind of paranoid about that. I don’t want to talk over the app and then have them behave impishly. I have a quick grammatical inquiry, too. I came across this sentence on some website: El mar y el cielo se ven igual de azules y en la distancia parece que se unen. I understand what the sentence means, but, could someone give me a quick rundown on the use of “se” in this sentence, please? Its uses are something that I know I need to improve, badly. Lastly, if you guys could recommend any good resource or learning strategy I would greatly appreciate it. I know that there is a lot out there and I am interested in seeing what the community recommends. Anything would be welcome: novels you guys liked and that are pretty accessible, grammar books, workbooks, work sheets, books about español, recordings, etc. Anything. I apologize for such a supremely long post and I hope to hear what the community thinks. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Desirestolearn
[link] [comments]

from ansa| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Qeru3H
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments