I've heard people say that they "understand but don't speak" a language. Does anybody have the opposite issue; speaking a language well enough but having trouble listening to conversations between natives?

I find this occurring especially with Spanish. I am currently studying at the Spanish 450 university level, and have taken practice CEFR tests which usually place me around a B2 or C1. I can speak to any native Spanish speaker without any real problems, and can debate complicated concepts such as law, politics and philosophy in Spanish (in a face to face debate). I also watch YouTube channels in Spanish and dub all the video games I play in Spanish as well.

However, whenever I overhear native Spanish speakers talking to each other, I struggle greatly to understand even the basic gist of the conversations, let alone get the finer details about what they are saying. Often times, I can only pick out a few words of what they are saying. In fact, once, somebody was sitting next to me on a train, speaking on the phone in Dominican Spanish. I could barely understand a quarter of what he was saying. But when he hung up, we began talking, and I could communicate to him with ease.

No sé porque yo puedo hablar Español sin ningún problema (incluso en conversaciones muy eruditas), pero cuando estoy escuchando los hispanohablantes nativos hablando entre si mismos, no puedo entender casi nada de su conversación.

(I don't know why I can speak Spanish without any problem, including in very sophisticated conversations (speaking about the law, religious theories, etc.), but whenever I listen to native speakers speak amongst themselves, I am never able to understand much of their conversation.)

¿Hay alguien mas que tiene este problema (de ser capaz de hablar el idioma, pero al mismo tiempo tener muchos problemas entendiendo conversaciones entre nativos?

(Does anybody else have the problem of being able to speak the language, but at the same time having trouble understanding conversations between native speakers?)

submitted by /u/Bardak1999
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2BHghnq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments