weak vowel merger- teaching ESL phonology

"duplicate" (adjective) is
transcribed as /ˈdu·plɪ·kət/ ,but I always hear people say /ˈdu·plɪ·kɪt/

"condition" is
transcribed as /kənˈdɪʃən/ but I always hear people say /kənˈdɪʃɪn/

When I think of ə, I think of the word "about" (the first syllable)
When I think of ɪ, I think of the word "lid"

I'm trying to teach phonology to an ESL (English as a second language) student, and I never majored in linguistics in university

in my other post, I received feedback from fellow redditors who told me that this difference in transcription and my own aural perception of the word is likely due to the weak vowel merger
but at the same time, how would I teach an ESL student to properly transcribe "condition" or "duplicate" (adjective)
if I'm relying on how I hear those words in every day conversation rather than how they should technically be transcribed?

submitted by /u/dependablewings
[link] [comments]

from ansa| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2SpI6XM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments