People who speak 3 or more languages, do you ever feel like the more you know your 3rd language, the more you forget your 2nd one? Does it gets better with time?

My native language is hungarian and I learned english in high school. I have a language exam, used to live in the UK and worked mostly with Irish / British people in my home country. So I was pretty confident in english and never had any problems, I could express myself the way I wanted to.

I've moved to the Netherlands a year ago. I quickly realised that despite of the common belief it is just not possible to get a decent job here without knowing Dutch (small city). So I started to learn the language and it's going good, I'm currently on a B2 level course and I learn literally all day everyday.

My problem is that my english got way worse since I got better in dutch. I still understand books and movies in english but I can hardly speak it. I start a sentence and suddenly I can't remember the english words, only dutch comes to my mind. If I know I'll have to speak english, I have to prepare myself and it takes time to gather my thoughts.

I feel like it's getting worse as I'm getting better in dutch.

Has any of you ever experienced this?

submitted by /u/perzischepoes
[link] [comments]

from qosh keldińiz| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2S6hbQE
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments