Got a new Croatian textbook, and I've gone back to basics, which far from being an exercise in frustration like I thought it would be, has actually proven to be very useful!

Part of my overall frustrations with my previous Croatian textbooks was that they were more focused on getting to a high level of language grammar-wise, but as I've mentioned before, I felt I lacked a lot of what I'd consider basic vocabulary or exposure to common topics. Grammar points weren't particularly explained either, which was another frustration for me.

However I came across a book called Hrvatski Za Početnike (Croatian for Beginners) which I was initially sceptical would be of any help to me more than any other book I've tried, and I was also feeling quite discouraged by the language level, which for what I have been dealing with was massively lower. I decided to give it a shot anyway, as I felt anything could help.

I'm actually really impressed with the book and far from being discouraged, going back to the start has helped me really solidify my existing knowledge as well as expanding it, including key vocabulary and grammar points. Some stuff, I whizz through it easily, as it's stuff I know that I know to memory and this is great. Other things however are new to me, especially as this book is intended to be really comprehensive, and these bits only make study more fun.

I also hate to sound weird but unlike my previous books, this one makes me want to engage with it. It's got colour, it's got a layout which is easy to follow and look at and even fairly minor things like pictures which are obviously relevant and clear labels for different sections. It reminds me a lot of my old French textbook which for some odd reason I loved, and it actually makes me want to use it, which I've never had happen before.

I've got the follow-on books for this which will take me up to B2ish. There's 3 books in total, along with the accompanying workbooks and CDs so I've got more than enough to keep me going!

submitted by /u/ESLTeacher2112
[link] [comments]

from ansa| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2SAm2Kf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments