Literature in target language

I'm an English speaker who grew up with two other languages (Portuguese and Spanish) that I used as a child then stopped using and now use again. I am conversational in both and use Spanish at work. I've found that reading news and academic articles is easier to me than reading literature. News is pretty straight-forward and the vocabulary is more familiar to me. When I read certain books in either language I sometimes find myself completely lost, not understanding the narrative, and seeing so many words that I've never heard of. A lot of these I assume are local/regional expressions or words, and things like foods we don't have here and objects that I never had to talk about.

My question is what do you find is the best way to raise your reading comprehension? Do you just bulldoze your way through and get what you can out of the story and try again with another one? If you find something too hard do you shelve it and look for something easier?

Right now I'm taking the bulldoze approach and only looking up words that seem to come up again and again, because I hate going back and forth from book to dictionary. Can anyone recommend a reading plan for Spanish or Portuguese where the books get progressively harder/go from more general vocabulary to more localized vocabulary?

Part of this is just venting because I feel almost like I shouldn't be having this much trouble.

Thanks

submitted by /u/iens1-f
[link] [comments]

from Nok aba ɗaw | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2wtF7o0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments