Learning the wrong language?

Hey this is my first post and I'm super conflicted.

I've been studying Korean for the past year and a half pretty steadily and have dabbled with other languages here and there but always got distracted and went back to Korean.

I have a 5-month internship I will be taking in China at the beginning of next year and I'm super excited since I've always wanted to learn Mandarin. It's one of the languages I've dabbled with before but never could get a steady study schedule going even though now I KNOW I should really start sitting down and learning it.

But the problem is every time I try, I get frustrated being a beginner in a language again and don't know where to start (I'm comparing this too much to my experience learning Korean which of course is much different) And lately I've been getting super distracted by Japanese and my interest in learning that is much higher. (Yes alongside learning Korean, which is apparently a killing sin to some language learners but hey, sue me)

I'm trying to convince myself it's okay to wait until I am in China to learn past basic phrases since I know my interest will come back strong once I am actually there and I should be much more motivated and will be able to learn more.

I guess basically my problem is that I am annoyed with myself for losing interest in the language that is going to benefit me the most in the near future (Mandarin) and getting distracted with other languages (Japanese)

Does anyone else have this problem? This subreddit has been super helpful in terms of motivation seeing other peoples progress and accomplishments and I was wondering if anyone else could relate to this!

submitted by /u/captainisking
[link] [comments]

from sewayo | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2OOl76b
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments