Has anyone ever done the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship or studied Mandarin in Taiwan?

I'm interested in doing the program to continue my Mandarin learning but had a few questions.

Basically, from what I understand, you are responsible for setting everything up yourself (find and applying to a language school in Taiwan, paying the fees, sorting accommodation, booking flights, etc). The scholarship is a fixed rate of NT$25,000 (US$825) a month.

My question is, is that enough to cover everything, or will I need to dip into my own pocket? I don't mind doing the organizing myself, was just wondering if this is enough to make it worth it.

My other question is about the language spoken in Taiwan. From my wikipedia analysis, about 85% of people speak Mandarin, but the same amount speak Taiwanese Hokkien. So how common would Hokkien be? Would most people be speaking it in their daily lives alongside Mandarin. I'm just curious in that case, is Taipei really the best place to go and learn Mandarin.

I've been doing some googling, but maybe someone who has done this program or is familiar with Taiwan (especially Taipei where I would like to stay) could have some insight. Thank you very much!

submitted by /u/JDC52
[link] [comments]

from Nok aba ɗaw | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2wsINq5
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments