What phrase, word or grammatical construct in your native language is hard to grasp or explain to non native speakers?

I was trying to explain “mal” in German today, which I didn’t think was hard to explain, until I tried... I realized I have no idea what it means.

“Ich geh dann mal” = I am leaving, I have used this phrase a million times but could not tell you what the “mal” in there is supposed to do. “Ich geh dann” or “ Ich geh” means the same thing (in my dialect, other Germans might disagree)

“Mach mal...” = “ok, do it” once again, no idea... It kind of has a nuance to it, that the speaker actually doubts the other person can, but it could also mean that the speaker doesn’t care, like “k, go ahead”

“Von mal zu mal” = from Time to time, not really used in daily life, but encountered in literature

Also there are words like “manchmal” = occasionally, “erstmal” = for starters where “mal” seems to mean something related to a moment in time...

You get the drift, what are your phrases/words you can’t explain to a non native speaker?

submitted by /u/AsFarAsItGoes
[link] [comments]

from Merhaba | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2tDJWJW
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments