I have been tasked with teaching english to my Jiu Jitsu coach, who speaks portuguese. I speak no portuguese May I please have some help?

Hello ladies and gentlemen! My name is allen and my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Coach, Marcos, has asked me to teach him english. It all started the other day, after training: I politely corrected his english. He kept saying "more fast" or "more strong" and told him he can just say "faster" and "stronger." He was very receptive of it. The next time I came in to train, he asked me to teach him english for 30 mins a week.

A bit of background about me and Marcos: I speak spanish on an intermediate level. I am able to hold a conversation and speak in the past present and future. I am just now getting a handle on the subjunctive. Sometimes i have to look up words here and there; but i definitely I speak more then the average gringo. My native language is English and I am American. Marcos is from Brazil, and he speaks english on an intermediate level. He can hold a conversation but he makes errors in his speach. He specifically mentioned spelling when he asked me. I bought a book thats written in english and is centered torwards learning portuguese. I am ready and willing to help marcos but i am at a loss as to where to start.

I wouldnt mind learning a little bit of portuguese, as a quarter of the gym speaks portuguese, and I follow a lot of BJJ instagram pages, where they speak and write in portuguese. The similarties between spanish and portuguese may help me but I understand that they are 2 different languages. To me, this seems like a good oppertunity to learn another a 3rd language, teach some english, and help my coach.

I have experiance in teaching english to spanish speakers. But I was able to teach in spanish, while demonstrating the differences and similarities between the 2 languages. I could really use some advice. Any tips? advice?

submitted by /u/Allen139
[link] [comments]

from Merhaba | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Kw295M
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments