I finally finished Memrise's official Russian 1-7 course yesterday, feel free to AMA!

Hey guys, I just finished the official Russian 1-7 course on Memrise, so I wanted to take this opportunity to answer any questions on e.g. whether it was worth it now, because I found it hard to find threads like this when I was considering starting the course.

I had an absolute tonne of questions, like "to what level will this get me to?", "How long will it take?" etc. so I'll answer the ones I can think of that I had. Also I finished the Duolingo course in about 3 months but I'm still yet to strengthen all my skills to max level, though I do have all the achievements.

I haven't taken a B1 exam yet, and I would need to learn maybe about 500 more specific words in preparation to do so, but I can read a B1 examination paper in full, understand everything, maybe not answer everything correctly but at least understand what's going on, read the passages.

I am definitely way above A2 level, I can have reasonably fluent but slow conversations (it takes me a while to decline adjectives in my head, I can conjugate verbs though) on nearly any topic. Especially because in technical topics, you can often guess the word because they use many english loanwords.

It took about 14 months to get to this level. 315,000 people have subscribed to the Russian 1 course and then it gradually declines, but there's upticks at 4 and 7 where newcomers jump straight in there. About 4,000 people subscribed to Russian 6, so less than 1% of people stick through to the end. My rank on the all time leaderboards for Russian 6 and 7 is between 110-120, and having watched my rank for a while and only recently completed the course, it seems reasonable to estimate that <300 people finished the entire russian course from the 315,000 who started.

My number of "difficult words" is less than 200 in total, ranging from 1 in Russian 1 (because they request the word "them" in russian and then expect the dative form for some reason), to 98 in Russian 7 which is down from about 140 a couple of days ago.

(I actually did it on stream too! Unfortunately there was no fanfire and fireworks but it still felt good)

AMA!

submitted by /u/Alex_Rose
[link] [comments]

from Merhaba | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2tEvGkk
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments