Understanding more and more Norwegian.

I’ve been studying for a couple of weeks. Lost track when I started. I first started off with Duolingo and completed the first checkpoint, but its srs system wasn’t for me. Now I learn vocabulary using my textbook, and a combination of the Iversen method with Anki.

Now I’m working through The Mystery of Nils. The dialogue at the beginning of each chapter does NOT have an English translation. Meaning you have to translate it yourself. New words are on the right side of the page in the order of occupancy. Helps with learning new words. Grammar explanation is good with examples and exercises at the end of the chapter for you to practice. There’s no separate workbook which I like. Answer keys in the back. You just write in the textbook.

I’m exclusively subscribed to /r/norge. Just sort everything by new if nothing comes up. It’s the only fully Norwegian subreddit I’ve found. I’ve also set my homepage to the NRK website. I’ll try to read a headline and understand. Also downloaded the NRK and NRK TV app on my phone.

This is by far the best immersion I’ll have until I move.

After a while, I’ll notice the repeat appearance of certain words and pop them in google translate. Just the words because sentences can be wonky. I also learn vocabulary by looking at the symbols and locations of words on a website. For example søk means search, *hjem means home, and you can probably guess what logg inn means.

I’m starting to understand more and more and sentences. What words I don’t know, I can infer from context due to similarities between English and Norwegian. For example, there’s a post on /r/norge.

”Trenger tips til romantisk weekendtur for to.”

I already know trenger, til, and to from my textbook. Because of the similarities (seriously) of English and Norwegian, I can infer this sentence to mean:

*”Need tips for a romantic weekend for two.” *

I’ve yet to learn what the difference between for and til is, but I’ll figure it out.

Just wanted to share.

submitted by /u/LettingShitOut
[link] [comments]

from Ontitokaaha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2GBkhVM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments