Learn MSA or an Arabic 'Dialect'?

Hello! I want to learn Arabic, but I'm not sure whether to start with MSA or a local Dialect. I've seen advice both for starting with MSA (more here), but also for starting with a Local Dialect, mostly to interact with 'real people'.

My reasons for learning Arabic are many: I want to experience that fun language learning experience that I get when learning French or Spanish, I want to try the challenge of learning a non-Romance language, I already understand most of the alphabet, I want to understand more about my religion (Islam), I'm fascinated by Arab culture (and understand through learning French and Spanish how much a language can unlock a culture), and one day I plan to travel extensively to the Middle East (no particular nation in mind).

I understand that MSA is used throughout the Middle East, but according to the third website I linked, it is not a lingua franca, contrary to what many other sources have said. I'm really not sure who to believe at this point. I've been told that MSA is harder, easier, more useful, and less useful by different sources.

If I chose to learn a 'Dialect', I'd also have to consider which Dialect in particular I wanted to learn.

I'd appreciate any advice from you guys so that I can start learning Arabic: Should I learn Modern Standard Arabic, or a Dialect (and if so, which dialect?)

submitted by /u/PortsmouthKerachi
[link] [comments]

from வணக்கம் | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2xngzQp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments