Using 'Can' and 'Could' - English Grammar Lesson

Using 'Can' and 'Could'

Can and could are modal auxiliary verbs which express ability, permission, request, offer or possibility.

 Uses of 'Can'

Can is a regular verb.Can is used in the present tense.

♦ Can is used to talk about our ability or lack of ability to do things.

♦ Can is used for asking a request.

♦ Can is used for giving an option or choice.

♦ Can is used as offer.

♦ Can is used for Ability and possibility or deny the possibility of something.

For Example:
I can't swim across the river. (Negative Possibility)

You can listen to him. He is a great Singer. (Suggestion)

Can I help? ( Offer)

Can I use your phone? (Permission)

Ella can speak fluent French as well as Japanese. (Ability)

Can I use your pen? (Permission)

Using Has Have and Had

You can also use these contractions
I  cannot = I can't
He cannot = He can't

 Uses of 'Could'

Could is the conditional form. Could is the past tense of can, and like other past forms, it sometimes simply indicates past time.

♥ Could is used to deny the possibility of something.

♥ Could is used to Talk about the possibility or lack of a possibility.

♥ Could is used in some Condition.

♥ Could is more polite than can. Could is not used to give or refuse permission.

♥ Could is used in giving suggestion.


For Examples:
Could you please wait for a minute? ( Request)

When I was a child I could run fast. (Ability)

We could get there in time if you were driving a bit faster. (Possibility)

Could you, please, take me to the manager? (Request)

Could I take your Shirt? (Permission)

We could go on the trip if I didn't have to work this weekend. (Possibility)


You can also use these contractions
Could not = Couldn't
He could not =He couldn't
 
Like Us on Facebook for daily FREE English Tutorials


Click Here to Learn English Grammar
Click Here For Daily Use English Tutorials
Click Here For Phrasal Verbs

Comments