Irish/British English: How to use "sir" and "ma'am"

Hiya! I'm a 30F native English speaker from the southern/Midwestern United States.

In my culture, you say "sir" or "ma'am" to anyone roughly your parents' age or older or to show respect. It's also a common courtesy when talking to another adult you don't know, especially if they're doing you a favor or a service in some way. This is not common in other parts of North America, but people generally aren't bothered by it. They might just laugh and say you don't need to call them that or something if it makes them uncomfortable.

Last year I went to a work convention in Dublin. I asked a few shopkeepers for directions at different points, and met people of all ages in pubs and at a concert I went to. Literally every Irish and British people I met seemed genuinely offended if I used honorifics. I eventually just tried to drop it, but I was puzzled. Our interactions would be perfectly pleasant, then I would say "yes ma'am" and they'd go all stiff and make a comment about "I don't think I need to be called ma'am" or something. This happened at least 3 or 4 times. I felt bad--i liked them and was trying to be polite! In my mind, I should show a little extra respect because I was a guest in their country and they were showing me kindness by having a chat or giving me directions.

So how do y'all use "sir" and "ma'am"? Is it just for small children to authority figures? Is it in some way offensive when one adult days it to another? If any other non-US native English speakers are in here, can you share how you use it? I'm especially interested in learning how to communicate the different cultural norms to my Spanish-speaking language nerd friends!

submitted by /u/AndCompanions
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MBNNSS
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments