Difficulties learning third language?

Hello everyone,

So, I've been trying to learn French since 2012 (two years in high school and four years at uni) as my third language but I'm having extreme difficulties learning the language. In high school, I barely passed the class with a C- and in college I thought I should retake it since it would be familiar (boy was I wrong) and I keep failing and retaking the class over and over again. Right now, I'm trying to complete my final two French classes to earn my degree and I'm facing the same issue: My brain keeps blocking everything out, refusing any new information.

I don't know why I'm having such difficulties when I taught myself English and have native like fluency in the language. I'm bilingual (I speak Arabic and English and I would like to believe that the latter being my dominant one). I wonder if it's because I had bad experiences with French and that's why I'm having difficulties learning it? Or maybe I dislike the language so much that I subconsciously refuse to learn it? Or is it just me in general?

I'm currently taking beginner French at the French embassy to correct my foundation in the language and I got good grades? Something I've never received in French before. The professor mostly speaks in French but it's easy to follow along and the class has no more than 10 students so maybe that's why it was easy for me? While in the university classes, at the intermediate level, It's difficult for me to follow along or even understand what the professor is saying. I constantly use Google translate (I don't do that with the embassy class) just to know what she's talking about.

I'm hoping to learn Japanese or Korean in the future but I have a strong fear that I will not succeed in the language and suffer like I am suffering in French :(

I'm sorry if this is messy. I just have a lot on my mind and I just poured everything out lol.

P.S, before you suggest I listen to French music, talk to French speakers or watch French movies, I'm already doing that and I have no clue what they're talking about lol.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/madreee
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2ILmHYj
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments