Learning multiple languages at once

So I'm being asked by two people to take two separate trips over the next few months - one to Puerto Rico and one to France.

Obviously they speak different flavors of Romance - Spanish and French.

I have previous experience with both languages - I practiced Spanish on my own for three months intensively about a decade ago and while I am rusty, I can still understand a lot by reading, and some by listening.

French, I took in high school about 20 years ago for a year. I can recognize a decent number of words.

Now typically learning two similar languages at the same time can be confusing, but I have an actual need (not to be fluent, but at least have some ability to parse the language), I have previous experience with both, and I'd say my "Latin sense" is pretty well developed - I can usually tell what word a given language is from, even now based on spelling, pronunciation, etc and sometimes even what word it is related to in English (and one time between Spanish and French).

Now neither of these trips is particularly long, so I don't need to achieve anything near fluency, but picking up/refreshing some vocabulary could be useful.

Is there any strategy to help me do this with both at the same time while minimizing confusion?

Also, I don't need either of these languages to fluency (at least right now), but would like to learn Chinese to actual fluency. Is there a way to essentially "study for all of them" or is that a bit too ambitious? I was thinking of practicing the same word in all three languages and seeing how that went for me, but I don't want to be overly ambitious and fail to learn anything.

I would say my ability to retain words and grammar concepts is above average, but not like polyglot level or anything like that.

EDIT: Hey, can I not be downvoted please? I've tried to help out this community plenty of times (I've built free custom language software, I've gotten people resources in rare languages), and I have a real actual life need right now to pick up at least some ability to parse basic Spanish and French at the same time.

submitted by /u/WillBackUpWithSource
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2qFWFO8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments