How to improve a ‘native’ language?

First post to this sub, which I’ve been really enjoying and appreciate. I have a problem which has bothered me for almost as long as I’ve been alive and often really gets me down, and would really appreciate any advice.

I speak Cantonese and English, but went to an English-speaking school. As time went on, my English naturally became my dominant language, while my Cantonese stagnated at around high-school level. I sound fine, but often screw up basic phrases without realizing, or can’t find the expressions at all for harder concepts.

I got really down about it today - I had a lovely (Cantonese) afternoon tea with family and was feeling good about it, but then I got into a cab, and the cab driver said, “I can hear that you’re not very fluent in Cantonese, I’m guessing you’re more fluent in English”. It was true, but it really stung to hear. I know I should just shrug it off, but honestly it was so discouraging.

For people in the same boat as me, how did you improve your language level? Do I have to do the equivalent of “re-learning” Cantonese all over again, and study texts etc the same way I did in English? Any pointers would be really appreciated.

submitted by /u/qingyun888
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/38kR00F
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments