Career Change – Spanish Immersion Experience, Is It Worth It?

Greetings! I am 33 years old, graduate-level education, and a young professional who has worked in the oil and gas industry for almost 10 years in Texas/USA. I recently resigned from one of the “majors” (O&G company) due to their culture not being the right “fit” as well as making the personal decision of pursuing a new career path.

I have decided to take this time, while I’m not currently working, to focus on re-learning Spanish. Previously, in my late teens/early 20s, I took 3 years of Spanish classes in High School and 4 semesters of Spanish courses during my undergrad. Sadly, I only remember the basics - "If you don't use it, you lose it".

I’m seriously contemplating going abroad for a “Spanish immersion” experience, but am unsure if this is the right path at this late age in life (versus simply hiring a personal tutor here in Texas?) or if programs are actually offered to adults at my age?

I’ve posted some questions below:

1) I’m aware of the travel-abroad programs available for university students. However, are there programs (courses, housing, etc.) that adults can apply to learn Spanish abroad?

2) Do traditional programs follow the Spring / Fall semester schedule? Or can an individual start whatever fits wit his / her schedule?

3) I would be willing to spend 4-8 weeks in another country before resuming my career. Since I am “basic” as it relates to my Spanish proficiency level, is this a reasonable amount of time to become fluent?

4) I’ve read numerous comments about not attending tourists’ destinations (Ex. Barcelona), since the majority of the local population could possibly respond in English – thus, enabling the conversation to default to English rather than Spanish and with little learning for me – Are there any particular countries / cities you would recommend for a great program / full immersion experience (\**please keep in mind, safety & national security/stability are very important for me**)*

5) I’m assuming based off the different answers in Question 4, this answer could vary – but, on average, how expensive would a program / experience like this cost?

Any other tips / advice or direction you may have is much appreciated!

submitted by /u/txwarrior86
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LD8ICT
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments