What's a language that you would never need to learn/use but just "grabs" you anyway?

(Reposting, chose wrong flair)

For all the languages I know or have plans to tackle someday, I have a practical/personal reason to learn them to a very high level. Spanish I hear everywhere and is great to know if you live in the states, German is one of my nana's native languages for example, But as a lover of language in general there are those languages that grab me just because they do.

For me it's mostly Finnish and Basque, both are so different from English in how they work grammatically, packed with features that I can't fully get my mind around like crazy agglutination, split ergativity, loads of grammatical cases ect. Basque is so interesting in that it is not related to any other language that we know of, and is the oldest spoken language in Europe with it's origins still unknown. Finnish is one of the first languages I saw and was like "woah, I had no Idea languages could work this way". I really like how it sounds too, and I Like Finland. Unless I were to move to Finland or Basque territory, I would never have a reason other than personal fulfillment to learn them, I would have not much use for them even if I did know them. You can't just "language" after all. We use language as a means of achieving/doing something else. (If someone would recommend a must read Finnish novel or something maybe I could get started). English proficiency is very high among Finns and Scandinavian countries and in Basque territory most people don't even know the language and I could just use my Spanish with them. I would still totally learn the language if I were to move there in the future.

There are of course many other languages I'd love to at least have a gander at. So what are those language that just "grap' you for whatever reason?

submitted by /u/XxQuarterizexX
[link] [comments]

from Aloha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2NUd5LQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments