Reading poetry/literature in your foreign language

Hey guys, just wondering for all you smart people out there if you have any experience reading the advanced aspects of a foreign languages literature. I am proficient in German, lived in Germany for about a year total and studied for another 8 in America, and so my grasp is pretty decent. However, I am still totally unequipped to understand German philosophy or poetry. I figured one of the perks of learning another language is being able to grasp a different body of beautiful and complex thought-to-word literature, so I tried reading Nietzsche and Goethe, but I'll be damned it barely feels like the same language to me! Anyone else have any similar reactions?

submitted by /u/sunsaintDC
[link] [comments]

from Aloha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LLDxEU
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments