Arabic and Chinese/Mandarin

I'm interested in hearing from native English speakers who've learned both Arabic and Chinese to a decent level (like at least B2). I've studied Arabic for a long time, and I do have a quite personal interest in it (not as a heritage language tho) that has probably made it easier on me. Both Chinese and Arabic have a diglossia (whether Fusha or Mandarin) and important dialects (whether Hakka or Syrian), and both are categorized as roughly equally difficult for English speakers to learn. But for all the work I've put into Arabic, whenever I've tried to dive into Chinese I feel horribly overwhelmed. And to be honest, I found Russian a bit too much for me, so I switched to Arabic and had a much easier time.

So yeah English speakers who learned both Arabic (not just Fusha) and Chinese (not just Mandarin) - can you compare and contrast the two?

submitted by /u/nomorecops1312
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YNonZ2
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments