Spanish or Japanese?

So basically I'm at a crossroads: learn Spanish or Japanese. As a bit of context: I (23m) am currently living with my father and he's agreed to pay for all of my necessities provided I go to school (10 month program for web design). Its a super relaxed schedule, the work and study can be done from home, and being late or missing class isn't ever a problem provided I get the work and study done. All that being said, it's still 30+ hours of study/work a week if I want to be a competent web designer (learn html/css, javascript, wordpress, Adobe applications, ecommerce/liquid, etc..). Language learning fits into my schedule perfectly, and because of where my fathers from (and his poor english) I wanted to learn Spanish. I'm in south florida so finding practice outside of talking to him isn't difficult, and it could help me build my portfolio here. The thing is I really don't like spanish. Not saying I dont respect it, I do, but as far as passion is concerned it's just not there. What I mean by that is after years of attempting to learn, and after the past month of seriously (min 2 hours a day studying + speaking) trying to learn, I just don't have any eagerness or excitment for learning - rather, its truly dreadful. All I want to do is talk to my dad and make him proud. Hes done so much for me. Japanese comes into play because its been a monolithic goal of mine to go there. I love the culture, the architecture, the history, nature and I've been saving the pennys I can scrape together for a ticket. Also - the olympic games. The thing is If I can stay there I will; Ive reached out to a couple of host families/businesses on workaway and they've confirmed that english teachers are in exceptionally high demand (in part due to expected 2020 tourism), and designing/improving there websites is something theyd be willing to pay for. So acquiring a work visa is possible! I've learned harigana before and the grammatical structure (verb at the end, usage of formal speech, etc...) is so interesting. My question is: which should I pursue? From a language learners perspective where is the real value in the language you chose to learn? Have you ever learned a language begrudgingly for practicalities sake? Any and all responses (criticisms too) are appreciated.

submitted by /u/Poeandwildesluvchild
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2NgCFvR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments