Resources for teaching children intermediate Spanish

Hi,

I'm trying to teach my son Spanish. I'm fluent, but I learned it as an adult. I studied abroad in a Spanish speaking country when my son was 3.5, so by the time he turned 4, he was monolingual Spanish. When we returned to the United States, he reversed very quickly to only speaking English. I wanted everyone who would, to speak Spanish to him, but he was experiencing reverse culture shock and wanted to fit in with his English speaking friends again. He would actually start crying when someone spoke to him in Spanish, so I eased off. He has been around Spanish speakers, and always spoke at least a little, and his comprehension was pretty good. He's 8 now and I've been trying to revive his Spanish. I got some of the beginning Spanish books and flashcards for him, but he is nearing the end of those. They cover key words like months, seasons, counting, things like that. Other than speaking to him in Spanish as much as possible, what are some ways to take his Spanish to the next level? Intermediate Spanish resources seem to be aimed at adults or high schoolers, so I don't think they're age appropriate for him. I have him watching Spanish movies and cartoons which he enjoys, and am starting to read books to him in Spanish. Any other suggestions? (I'm not rich btw. I can't send him to an international school or anything like that.)

Thanks

submitted by /u/ExpatEcho88
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2XGF4El
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments