I'm Autistic with Moderate Learning Difficulties and i'm currently learning Japanese that I started since around 2015/2016. Any advice I need to know?

Hello r/languagelearning

I made a similar post on r/LearnJapanese 3 months ago and I had some great advice/tips/websites given to me and I thought I might ask this Subreddit and here I am. ;)

I'm embarrassed to say that after 4/5 years, I'm still haven't finished with hiragana yet, (actually, I'm almost finished with Hiragana, I just need to practice writing out ま、み、む、め, も。and the other characters that has the dots and circles below the character. Afterwards, I'll start on both Katakana, Grammar and Kanji. For Kanji, i'm close to fully understand how Kanji work and I'm might be compared.

My biggest problem is Procrastination, which I believe is symptoms of both Moderate Learning Difficulties and Autism. I always spend time on the computer and I do have a big YouTube addiction, although I have took advantage of my YouTube addiction and tried learning hiragana via video, but no success, Right now, my learning style is basically the same as how Japanese Children learn Kanji, (Writing it out again and again and AGAIN) or at least that's how I learn hiragana, might use this for Katakana and Kanji but not sure if I want to use this for vocabulary and grammar.

I tried Anki and I didn't have any success but that's because I probably used it wrong, so I might get back to it and try using it probably.

Here are the reasons why I want to learn Japanese, incase your wondering (copyed from my r/LearnJapanese post)

  1. I find the Japanese culture, animation, music and the language very fascinating. for the language, I love the uniqueness of it and I love how it sounds and I like how each character in the kana charts only have one sound (with some exceptions) which I find beneficial for me because I struggle pronouncing most of the English vocabulary due to the sounds being a bit... complicated. I also like how the grammar is a bit simplified on some parts (e.x using the adjectives on it's own can have multiple meanings) There are some more but I want to keep this short.

  2. I want to challenge myself and I want to be more intelligent and less ignorant. As a Autistic with Moderate Learning Difficulties, I always imagine necrotypicals describing people like me as "low functioning" I'm not low functioning, I consider myself high functioning, even though I have a suspicion that my parents think otherwise. Learning Japanese can be a turning point in my life. To keep this short, I want to be intelligent as I believe intelligence = a more happy lifestyle, and I want to proof to people that autistics like me can learn by ourselves without a teacher. We just need time, motivation, and fairness, Japanese and Computing are the only two that I feel more motivation with and my School has put a bad taste in my mouth in terms of English, Maths and other subjects (ended up with 2 very low level GCSE English and no GCSE Maths) and I have no desire to improve my English and Maths because I'll be reminded of my mediocre Special Needs School and that sucks, On the bright side I feel like my English vocabulary will increase as I learn advanced Japanese vocabulary and probably becoming a more sociable person as I need to find a Japanese speaker to talk to. Hooray for upsides!

Also as I studying Japanese I learn things about myself about how I learn (What learning style is suitable, How do I teach myself, etc) which is a positive experience for me and gives me hope about myself. (e.g, I seen a comment on Reddit stating if you learn some bits of how grammar work, then you'll understand about how most of the grammar work, I had minor doubts at first but as I read more about the Japanese Grammar, the more I learn about how it works. I never have that feeling until that time,) now that's the feeling of motivation.

For that last part, I don't view myself positively for obvious reasons, but whenever I success and feel accomplished, it gives me hope about myself.

So, r/languagelearning

Do you have any advice/tips/recommendations I should know?

Looking forward to your comments.

(If you have any questions regarding my Autism and Moderate Learning Difficulties, don't be shy to ask.)

submitted by /u/LegendaryJackzi
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2JbmtXq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments