I need a 3 hour warm-up. Has anyone else experienced this?

I take my B1 exam in 2 weeks. I've been living in the country and learning the language for about 6 months now.

These days, I *can* speak the target language at near-native tempo. I still have problems with word order and I'm still translating in my head, but my vocabulary is at a functional level and I can have a fairly sophisticated conversation.

But the problem is it takes me 3 hours to get there. The first words of Dutch (target language) out of my mouth for the day are barely A2 level. After 3 hours of immersion, I'm up to B1. On days when I have class, I turn on my Dutch podcast 90 minutes before class. My class is 90 minutes, and I'm only really at my best by the end of class. Then I come home and if I switch to English (native language) media, by the time my partner is home from work 2 hours later I'm back at A2 level.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried it might be because I'm old. I wonder if people under 30 ever have this problem.

submitted by /u/SweetPickleRelish
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2H4WsK9
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments