Grammar, autism, learning strategies

I'm mildly autistic. Possibly related to this is my handling of grammar. It's a bit odd. I basically think very differently to the average person. I don't think as linearly as most people. I don't think very sequentially.

This is even evident in my native language. Basically, I tend to think ahead too fast and then need to correct this by adapting the rest of the sentence. Fortunately I can do this in English. You might even notice this in my writing here. Feel free to analyse?

When I learnt Spanish I struggled with grammar and basically decided to skip it completely! I was using Rosetta Stone. I just tried to get as much basic vocab as possible - nouns and verbs as a priority and then went with more passive learning after that 1000 word base was established.

Now I'm learning Cantonese primarily through Glossika.

My understanding is basic but I get the impression that their system is introducing grammar early. I can really see the advantage of this. Phrases like 'he was' Vs 'we were' are really useful of course. In terms of actual words and even grammatically related words the system is working fine but I get the impression now that my non linear thinking is hampering the system.

2 more things:

-I've used the system for around 2500 questions. -Cantonese is thankfully quite basic in terms of grammar

Anyway, I'm wondering if I need to adjust my study because of this or something? It's kind of interesting. What would I search for more info? Just type autism and grammar into Google? But where to find more detail?

submitted by /u/Fkfkdoe73
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2GRR5OZ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments