When is a podcast (or other media) too hard to be worth using?

One of the issues I've always struggled with in my language learning is finding effective listening comprehension materials.

I would rate my Japanese ability at intermediate/high intermediate So I'm wondering if:

  1. When those of you at the mid-level ability with a language listen to media, do you try to jump into the advanced stuff and just listen as best you can? Do you stop and look up *every* word you don't know? Is there any point in listening to stuff you only grasp about 30% of? Basically what are your strategies for this?
  2. If anyone happens to know a good resource for listening comprehension for someone not quite at the advanced level of Japanese, I'd very much appreciate hearing your suggestion(s).

Just as a side note: My situation is different because my Japanese used to be pretty advanced (about 15 years ago.) I've just let it slip and I'm trying to rebuild it. So sometimes some pretty advanced stuff re-emerges.

Note: gonna cross post this r/japanese

Edited for typos

submitted by /u/cambriasinica
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2thBuQc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments