German vs. Mandarin Chinese

I'm a 20-year old Romanian guy and would like to study one of these languages, but I'm still on the fence.

German:

+ is an European language, and I live in the EU

+ I really like how it sounds

+ is also spoken in Belgium, Switzerland and Austria

+ has AWESOME music

+ fairly interesting culture

+ Bundesliga!

- the grammar is annoying to learn (have dashed into German before)

- some compound words can be frustrating

- some Germans don't see Romania in a good light, for reasons I won't mention

Mandarin:

+ lately I'm falling in love with Far Asian culture and history (and even the pop culture from there)

+ leaves an open door for Korean and Japanese

+ also sounds pretty cool

+ grammar is easy

+ you really have the sense of an accomplishment

+ is spoken by over one billion people

- the writing/reading system is frustrating, to say the least

- tones can get in the way, but there are many European languages that are harder to pronounce for me (Polish, French...)

- China is just starting to spread its influence over the EU

Based on these info, which one should I go for? I'm slightly leaning towards Chinese but I wanna know your opinions as well :)

submitted by /u/MamoswineRider
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2E4ehXV
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments