Hi! Been following for a while, but this is my first post. Anybody have advice on how to increase my german skills, particularly writing, but reading aswell.

So im a young woman living in Germany for over a year now. I spent one hardcore year earning my A1 in German, finishing with a “2” in German standard scoring. Since then iv spent 6 months at my new job, my german consistently improving, (a drastic difference from 6 months ago to now) and im also perfectly fluent WHEN SPEAKING, aside obvious grammar mistakes.

I am more than capable of holding a deep conversation, im a careful listener and im very good at “reading between the lines” even when I don’t totally understand what they SAY, i almost always understand what they MEAN, even sometimes with words I have never heard before. Im at the point where my brain no longer translates what I hear, i just understand it. Comes with the regular grind I guess.

The only problem is, while my speech is consistently praised by others, my writing skills are severely lacking. As some of u may know, german basically has two standards. Writing standard, and speaking standard (not the right names i know, but i learned all of this natively, so i don’t actually know the names in english). My speaking standard is obviously on point, but my writing is just god awful, i bet there are even Uni students that could write better than me.

So my question is, will reading books help me improve my writing? My reading is okay, it could be better, and obviously i think reading would improve my writing to a point, but i need sources?

I love reading, but i don’t do it much anymore. I was always afraid of reading in German. I don’t touch german books, i also don’t watch many movies im german (this goes against all common advice i know) i always said to myself “ill read again when my german is good enough for it to be worth it” and now i think im at that point, but idk where to start i guess.

I cant just buy books. First off thats a bit out of my price range, i have no idea what my german reading level would be, and i also don’t have book shelf space. So is there any free online sources i could use? What would u guys recommend i do to improve my writing/reading?

Thanks guys, big help 🥰

submitted by /u/DfiantCrab
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2Cfgi16
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments