Crisis about what language to take at university

I'm a freshman and want to begin a language this semester, and the two options I'm interested in are Elementary German (just first-level, meets every day for an hour each week) and Intensive Italian (first and second level, meets every day for an hour and a half each week). I have plenty of previous experience with Spanish, so I'm comfortable in the Romance category, but the Italian class is also twice the speed of German (which could be helpful) and has a quiz every day. I've tried a little bit of both out on Duolingo as well as listening to recording of both, and I can say that I definitely love and have an interest in both languages, but for different reasons—a love of the beauty of Italian literature and the complexity of German philosophy. I also spoke to the Italian professor, and, despite the fact that I am generally intimidated by language-learning (from high school experience), I connected really well with him and felt like he could make the intense learning really fun. He said that by the end of the course, I'd know about 4000 words (and students who do well can skip ahead of third and fourth levels). The idea generally of learning a language this quickly and getting a head start, perhaps even taking up German next year (Intensive or Elementary track, not sure), really appeals to me, as intimidated as I am, and maybe I would benefit from the pressure-cooker in learning it.

I apologize for the block of text, but does anyone have any advice over things I can do or seek out or consider to resolve this dilemma? I've had a bit of analysis-paralysis for about a month or two about this, and I'll need to decide which class to attend by the time I wake up tomorrow morning.

submitted by /u/dogieboy6
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2TMcmME
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments