When is it appropriate to speak a non-native language to someone?

For context, I'm a typical white guy living in the United States. I've been learning Spanish for a couple of years now, but it's still far from perfect.

Yesterday, I went to a burger shack for lunch and the employees were all speaking Spanish to one another. When I got to the counter, the lady taking my order was struggling to communicate with me in English. I decided to switch to Spanish because I thought it would make the situation easier and I could use the speaking practice. When I started speaking Spanish her face instantly turned into a scowl and she was clearly annoyed with me.

So, like the title says, when is the appropriate time to speak to someone in another language? I would love to get the practice of speaking with native speakers, but I don't want to offend anyone. Is it insensitive to speak to someone in their native language when they start the conversation in English?

submitted by /u/HaiJake
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2PCeOTh
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments