Feedback: I want to build the PERFECT phrase book / frequency dictionary

Hoping we can get a good discussion going. Over the past 10 years, I've done a bunch of field work to preserve my ethnic language. Along the way, I've developed my own list of phrases, high-frequency words and illustrative sentences. I have this for about 18 different languages.

This was all done through a non-profit foundation I established and fund out of pocket, and I'm now looking to monetize my research assets to develop a series of Kindle books. I'm specifically thinking of:

1) Phrase books with gloss translations (1,500 phrases, with the top 1,000 high frequency words embedded in the phrases).

2) Learner "dictionary" - top 2,500 or maybe 5,000 words with short, simple illustrative sentences.

I have most of this content sitting around. It's been compiled through years of research. I kind of had to pull it all together in order to develop materials for my ethnic language. (My co-ethnics are scattered all around the world.)

I guess my questions to this group are:

A) Would Kindle books like these be of interest?

B) What could help me stand out from my competition, if I did this?

C) Would the fact that these materials were generated through 10-years of real-world field research make any difference to you? (e.g. I didn't just troll Wikipedia, I actually spent a decade in the field, first learning my own language and then teaching it to thousands of other co-ethnics)

D) Would the fact that a portion of sales proceeds go back to fund my non-profit, language-preservation work make any difference to you?

E) Would it matter whether these were delivered as an eBook or an app?

On this last note, this is an interesting difference. The eBook is faster and cheaper to build, but it's a pretty flat file format. As an app, however, I could embed audio files for every written bit of content. On the other hand, for some reason, I think people tend to devalue apps over books.

Thanks, in advance, and I hope to hear some feedback.

submitted by /u/Aslanovich1864
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2BjahjF
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments