Struggling with oral comprehension

Hi guys!

I'm new on this subreddit. I'm French and I've been living abroad in Scandinavia for almost two years. I've realised that although I have an easy time speaking, writing, and reading the language, I sometimes struggle to understand what people are saying to me.

I thought it was just a reflection of my overall skills in the language in question but taking courses and having a job here, and being around other immigrants in general, I have realised that they have a much easier time than I do understanding people, and a harder time writing or speaking properly. Some of my immigrant friends also say that although they have almost no grasp on the language, they can understand what people say, and answer in English.

This has been a problem for me even back when I was learning English, where I could write long texts with few mistakes, speak with almost no accent, but couldn't understand TV shows without subtitles, whereas many French people are sh*t at speaking English but absolutely can watch videos with no subtitles whatsoever.

I sometimes struggle with grasping the subtleties of spoken French, too, but have no problem reading academia or classic literature.

I have a few hypotheses. Maybe I'm slow (I am), maybe it's a result of spending too much time learning the language in a formal way as opposed to practising with people, maybe it's both.

Do you have a clue what the problem could be? Do you have similar issues? Do you know how to tackle them (except for continuing to have discussions with natives and the awkwardness that follows)? Thanks guys!

submitted by /u/refreshedsuggestion
[link] [comments]

from Jó napot kívánok| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2DL3OBx
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments