Obsession with Proficiency Levels

I have noticed many people constantly ask what level they are in their languages. The concept of a proficiency level is fine, you have to communicate how well you speak a language. The problem comes when you derive your self worth in a language from them, however. Proficiency levels of any kind, including the CEFR, are vague. Even proficiency tests can be vague, HSK 6's level claims lie between B1 and C2. I am not arguing against proficiency tests, I will take one next year in German, but I have noticed myself constantly judging myself based off of the CEFR. At times I was so worried about my level that it distracted me from making progress. Personally, I have moved away from describing my languages in terms of the CEFR as it makes my levels sound less official, they are after all evaluations I had with teachers and I did not take tests. The main point I want to make is that your proficiency level in a language is not important as it will never capture your abilities. One may have the grammar of an advanced student with the vocabulary of a beginner. You could be amazing at talking about horses and yet awful at self introductions. Your level isn't your ability.

submitted by /u/dario606
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2zm2BNh
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments