Choosing Japanese or Arabic as the Third Language

Hi! I'm a native Bahasa Indonesia speaker with fairly advanced level of English as second language. I'd like to learn a third (preferably an Asian) language and it seems that my choices are Arabic and Japanese. Some considerations:

Arabic

Pros:

  • I studied the Qur'an and a bit of Islamic studies at my primary and junior high school, so able to read Arabic script (not without diacritics though).

  • Able to recognize some words due to its loanwords in Indonesian/Malay

Cons (mostly subjective):

  • Not really interested in its culture (I prefer Persian, definitely will learn Persian if it was more widely used globally).

  • Don't like the pronounciations sound-wise.

Japanese

Pros:

  • Learn it during high school, able to read Hiragana.

  • I like the pronounciation sound-wise.

  • I kinda like the culture (but not manga or anime because there is so much of them :p)

Cons:

  • Kanjis to be memorized.

  • Not being used internationally (unlike Arabic which has widespread use and getting more and more popular around Muslim-majority countries for my academic studies).

  • Lots of words are unfamiliar to me.

submitted by /u/hansiprumah
[link] [comments]

from qosh keldińiz| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2CPDTYT
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments