How much experience and practice does it take to become an interpreter? And what kind of background do these people usually have?

While I was reading an article (linked below) about an interpreter for Trump’s meeting with Putin, I got to thinking about an aspiration I had when I was little to become an interpreter at this kind of high level or for the UN or some other comparable entity. While I have since all but abandoned that aspiration, I am still curious as to how one gets to such a stage as to be able to serve as an interpreter at this level. What kind of background do these individuals need (i.e. do they normally have a bilingual background, or do they typically study a language in college as their major, etc.)? And on a slightly unrelated note, in order to become an ambassador or a UN representative or the like, is there any special language knowledge that might be required or extremely helpful?

Article: https://usat.ly/2uMSJco

submitted by /u/avimusicxp
[link] [comments]

from Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LaZ1xt
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments