Does anyone else hate the "you speak your language I speak mine" approach to practicing language?

An approach I've often seen proposed to having two people practice their respective languages (especially in relationships) is that each person speaks the language their learning (in a situation where each is learning a language the other knows). So in my case, I'd speak Mandarin and my interlocutor speaks English.

The reason I dislike this approach is that it ignores a massively critical source of learning while conversing with people: the reactions in their native language! There is so so much to learn from natives in this way... Did you use a word correctly? See how they react. Did you phrase something correctly? See if they rephrase things in their response. Did you pronounce it correctly? See how they pronounce it. And so on.

I feel the "you speak yours I speak mine" approach will lead to people reinforcing a lot of bad habits. I think it's fine for helping someone be more comfortable using the language, but I think it's infinitely better to carve out "language A" time and "language B" time, though that takes more discipline.

Just wanted to rant I guess.

submitted by /u/onthelambda
[link] [comments]

from Еттык | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2HsbPsp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments