Using ‘Used to’ and ‘would’ with Past actions – English Grammar lesson -Learn Online English Speaking

How To Use Used To & And Would In The Past


In This Tutorial You Will Learn Using ‘Used to’ and ‘would’ with Past actions – English Grammar lesson -Learn Online English Speaking.


When we speak about past actions, we use ‘used to’ and ‘would’. At times, they are used interchangeably. In this lesson, you are going to learn the usage of ‘used to’ and ‘would’ with reference to the past.


Used to: is used to speak about repeated actions in the past, that no longer happen in the present.
Example: I used to play football every weekend. (‘would’ could be used in place of ‘used to’)
Example: We did not use to watch TV. (‘would’ could be used in place of ‘used to’)
It is also used for a past state/condition.
Example: I used to be an engineer, but now I am a teacher. (‘would’ can’t be used in place of ‘used to’)
Example: I used to like rock music, but now I like jazz. (‘would’ can’t be used in place of ‘used to’)

Would: is used to speak about repeated actions in the past, that no longer happen in the present.
Example: When I was young, I would play football. (‘used to’ can be used in place of ‘would’)
Example: When I was in college, my mother would call me daily. (‘used to’ can be used in place of ‘would’)

Note: ‘Would’ can’t be used to talk about a past state/condition. It can be used only to talk about past actions.
Example: I would be an engineer, but now I am a teacher. (incorrect)
Example: I would like rock music, but now I like jazz. (incorrect)

Like Us On Facebook For Daily FREE English Learning Tutorials


Click Here To Learn More                                                                                      Learn English Grammar  | Vocabulary Words With Meaning and Sentence in English  | Free Complete English Grammar Video Tutorial Series  | Tense in English Video | Basic english Learning Videos Tutorials | English Idioms and Phrases Tutorial  | Daily Use English Words And Sentences  | English Grammar Verb Tutorial | Confusing Words In English with Sentences  | English Phrasal Verbs With Meaning and Examples  | Prepositions in English Grammar Exercises  |

Comments