Using 'Can' and 'Could' - English Grammar Lesson

Using 'Can' and 'Could'

Can and could are modal auxiliary verbs which express ability, permission, request, offer or possibility.

 Uses of 'Can'

Can is a regular verb.Can is used in the present tense.

Can is used to talk about our ability or lack of ability to do things.

Can is used for asking a request.

Can is used for giving an option or choice.

Can is used as offer.

Can is used for Ability and possibility or deny the possibility of something.

For Example:
I can't swim across the river. (Negative Possibility)

You can listen to him. He is a great Singer. (Suggestion)

Can I help? ( Offer)

Can I use your phone? (Permission)

Ella can speak fluent French as well as Japanese. (Ability)

Can I use your pen? (Permission)

Using Has Have and Had

You can also use these contractions
I  cannot = I can't
He cannot = He can't

 Uses of 'Could'

Could is the conditional form. Could is the past tense of can, and like other past forms, it sometimes simply indicates past time.

Could is used to deny the possibility of something.

Could is used to Talk about the possibility or lack of a possibility.

Could is used in some Condition.

Could is more polite than can. Could is not used to give or refuse permission.

Could is used in giving suggestion.


For Examples:
Could you please wait for a minute? ( Request)

When I was a child I could run fast. (Ability)

We could get there in time if you were driving a bit faster. (Possibility)

Could you, please, take me to the manager? (Request)

Could I take your Shirt? (Permission)

We could go on the trip if I didn't have to work this weekend. (Possibility)


You can also use these contractions
Could not = Couldn't
He could not =He couldn't
 
Like Us on Facebook for daily FREE English Tutorials


Click Here to Learn English Grammar
Click Here For Daily Use English Tutorials
Click Here For Phrasal Verbs

Comments